Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Day 7

CLEANER (Renny Harlin) - W/O

[Not a very Hawksian entry in Harlin's oeuvre, but at least we get to see Sam Jackson imitate Cary Grant. Renny says WKW inspired the visuals; I was thinking more CSI.]

ATONEMENT (Joe Wright) - 65

[Wright, much more flippant and neurotic than you'd expect based on his choices of source material, said something about "life-changing experiences in scuzzy London moviehouses" before this began; I'd wager a few were courtesy of Michael Powell (& Pressburger), judging from a busy comic tone where the "real" conflict is just barely allowed to register. Tries a bit hard near the end, but is moving precisely for dissecting Briony's own excessive guilt earlier on in depicting her fantasy of atonement--she's apologetic to the point of being irritating, while "Robbie" and "Cecilia" are annoyed to the point of being brutal, and each are easy to access in the low-key performances and intelligent editing choices on display.]

CORROBOREE (Ben Hackworth) - [rating withheld 'cuz I'm interning for Shoreline Entertainment]
THE TRACEY FRAGMENTS (Bruce McDonald) - [rating withheld 'cuz I'm interning for Shoreline Entertainment]

2 comments:

naked hand films said...

Hey.... I'd love to hear your response to CORROBOREE and TRACEY FRAGMENTS .... (whether biased or not, it would be interesting to see how your bias or professional requirements influence the way you describe the film, cryptic or not. )

Sky Hirschkron said...

I may write a little something on them, but I won't rate them at this time. They are both interesting films, and I would have seen them here regardless of whether I was with Shoreline.