Sunday, September 7, 2008

Days 1-3

What I've made it to so far:

PRO:

Revanche (Gotz Spielmann) [I've heard Spielmann compared to Haneke and Seidl, but he's clearly more interested in thriller conventions than either. He's also an expert at undermining them.]

pro:

Acne (Federico Veiroj) [Light and nostalgic, but there's something willfully unconventional about the protag's coming of age, and Veiroj's approach to characterization.]

mixed:

It's Not Me, I Swear! (Philippe Falardeau) [Sort of "Hal Ashby does Home Alone," but not quite as subversive as one would like.]
Le Dernier Maquis (Rabah Ameur-Zaimeche) [I'm a bit baffled by this one.]

con:

Me and Orson Welles (Richard Linklater) [I'm a bit non-plussed by this one.]
Wendy and Lucy (Kelly Reichardt) [De Sica-esque. Some people will think that's a good thing.]
Delta (Kornel Mundruczo) [Mundruczo has a good eye, but is terminally adverse to humor.]

No comments: