Friday, October 17, 2008

Campion; Roeg; slasher movies; Austen; Handel and Beethoven

Sweetie (Jane Campion, 1989)

I’d seen this before, and vaguely remembered its stilted, poetic tone. It’s bizarre: whimsy bent on flagellating itself, Amelie gone depressive. It’s a mystery how Campion went from this, the edifying work of someone who finds herself unforgivably cold, to the pat, foregone Holy Smoke! in a mere ten years, one I plan to cease dwelling on as soon as I finish writing this sentence.

Walkabout (Nicolas Roeg, 1971)

Meh. Liked certain behavioral bits, especially the lead girl's irritated impassivity in the face of trauma. But Roeg's editing, while vague in its intentions, is vague and not exactly subtle. Sometimes it appears that We Are Like Them; sometimes We Are Different From Each Other. Got it. But why limit yourself to that register, aside from pleasing symbolism-hungry film studies majors?

Friday the 13th Part 2 (Steve Miner, 1981)

Not good. But I’m beginning to appreciate experiencing these films as social rituals a la getting drunk. Not all appreciations are healthy—see also the way Laura Mulvey’s execrable ideas seep into my consciousness, not unlike an extended hangover, for a period of several days following forced repeated readings of her stupid fucking essay.

Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen, 1817)

Uh, forget what I assumed about Udolpho: this is a precise indictment of both Radcliffe’s faults and her detractors’ careless exaggerations. Can’t think of an equivalent to the Gothic novel that I naively embraced at age 17—I dunno, Mystic River?—but can relate to Austen’s impulse to explain, over the course of a standard, albeit brilliantly plotted and observed, comedy of manners, why her tastes evolved out of a need to bridge the perilous gap between art and life.

On Handel and Beethoven

I’ve been wondering lately, in the process of briefly checking out a bunch of classical composers and concluding that I only really dig Handel and Beethoven, a) if there are some equally great ones I’m missing out on, and b) how sorely isolated those two must have felt, considering the distance between them and seemingly everyone else. Beethoven’s fabled social ineptitude makes almost too much sense: aside from problems w/r/t hearing and women, genius can only be disgruntled by a glut of mediocrity. (Apparently, if randomly Googled sites are to be trusted, the latter was a big fan of the former.) I can’t imagine ever liking Bach, who I find so diffuse that any emotional continuity fizzles out every two or three measures. I have the opposite problem with Mozart: complexities feel telegraphed, big, obvious. I find Haydn and Mendelssohn more intriguing, but both are working in a mode of counterpoint that leaves me instinctively cold, as if I’m either supposed to be sitting back and coolly observing, or making a strained attempt to feel something. The beauty of H and especially B is roughly a gazillion times more natural and fluid to me. But I’ll update if I find someone else I like.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Classical music listening is more intellectual and less impressionistic than you're accustomed to, I think. Although I have great respect for your impressions. It's a different league. Different sport. Probably even wrong to describe it as a sport.

But what the hell do I know, I'm off on a Brian Wilson bender right now.

Don't forget a lot of this stuff was set to other media...

Jaime

Vadim said...

Are you taking some Gothic class? I got a kick out of The Castle Of Otranto.

And: Mahler. But I almost never listen to classical these days; too much as a kid.

Sky Hirschkron said...

Jaime:

How've you been, dude? Haven't heard from you since my botched attempt at Out 1.

True that. Initially, I would find myself enjoying classical more if I try to divorce myself from a pop mindset and try to engage with the way a symphony traditionally doles out emotion as opposed to a pop song--but what I can't reconcile with that is that I can enjoy Beethoven in the same way I enjoy folks like Wilson (at least c. '66-'70), Elliott Smith, etc., which makes me think maybe it isn't such a bad mindset after all.

Another way of putting it is were I to ever try to compose a symphony myself, I'd turn to Beethoven, and probably try to forget about Mozart -- if only because I'd imagine I'd like a composer more who properly condensed his or her range of influences on my terms.

That said, I think the contrapuntal something that Beethoven was interested is more interesting to me than Beethoven himself. See also any good artist, really...

Vadim:

Yeah, we had a brief foray into gothic lit to prep for the Austen and Wuthering Heights. Reading Radcliffe for Bronte is like watching Lelouch for Rohmer, but try telling that to a lit professor...

I read about half of Otranto prior to Udolpho, actually. I guess a kick out of the notion that people are still writing serious critical essays on Walpole and Radcliffe, but it's a somewhat bittersweet kick.

Mahler I have been meaning to check out and will, as soon as I sort through an intimidating mp3 backlog.

dbb said...

I think that one's affinity for Bach is usually proportional to how much classical music training one has had.

I'm sure that you have already given them a look, but I would recommend two Russians: Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff.

Also: Brian Wilson=awesome.